So I decided to upgrade to a larger printer. My Ender-2 is a fantastic little machine, but the print area is rather small. This is not a review and I simply sharing my experience. The printer was paid for by myself.
I wanted something, open source, direct drive for TPU printing and a large printing area.
– The Sidewinder X1 the Marlin firmware has been provided. (Although the firmware related to the touch screen has
– It has a direct drive extruder based on the e3D Titan Areo (So easier to buy replacement parts if needed)
– A large printing area of 300 x 300 x 400 mm.
These photos below are ones I took.
A strain relief was one the first things needed to made.
My part cooling duct is available on thingiverse. I was working on this before my Z axis movement decided to go full retard. Once I receive new stepper drivers to get my printer running again, I’ll continue to develop it. At the moment, it’s not blowing air in the exact centre and evenly from each side. Also, in my test, I think I had it a tiny bit to low, as the air is blown down on an angle.The other thing I’ll change out is the volcano nozzles with a clean brand new one.
3D PRINTED AQUAPONICS MODS PLUS MORE
This is the bell siphon I designed for my aquaponics set up. The breather tube on the side allows air to reach the top to help stop the siphon. You can adjust it up and down via the thread.
This fitting for the hose is for cleaning out the breather tube on the bell siphon. An O-ring was added to make it seal with the hose fitting.
Cowmole Co. New 225pcs Seal O-Ring Gaskets Set Air Conditioning Rubber Washer O Ring Assortment Kit for R22 R134a Purple Standard Parts Hot
This is by far my favourite upgrade and was totally unexpected. I purchased some Anet A8 Nozzles. I’m not sure if it was just because they are new clean nozzles or just better made then what comes with the Ender-2, but there was a noticble improvement in print quality.
I download and printed this filament guide from Thingiverse, works great to stop the 1.75mm filament from rubbing on the Z-rod. However it made this squeky sound, so I used a short peice of PTFE tubing in the hole and now it runs smooth and quiet.