When it comes to taking care of indoor plants, sometimes, even your best intentions can go awry! Too much water and they drown. Too little water and they wither and die. Too strong a fertilizer, to weak a fertilizer, too little sun, too much light – the lists of do’s and don’ts goes on endlessly.
How is one to know what to do?
One of the best things you can do as a plant-lover is to arm yourself with information. Where once you had to buy volumes of books and read through all the boring stuff to get to what you needed to know, now the internet has become your best friend. Having a beautiful coffee-table version of the best plant book on earth is wonderful. You can browse it at your leisure. But when you want answers, the quickest, most efficient way is to search the internet.
One of the most recommended products for organic pest control is Neem oil.
Uses for Neem Oil
Neem oil is a naturally occurring oil that helps control:
- Insects: Kills or repels many harmful insects and mites, including aphids, cabbage worms, snails, flies, nematodes, gnats , mealybugs, moths, cockroaches,, termites, whiteflies, mosquitoes, and scale. It also attacks the larvae andits bitter tasterepels plant munchers
- Fungus: Effective in preventing fungal diseases such as black spot, anthracnose, rust, and mildew
- Disease: Battles viruses that can harm plants
Neem oil is a popular choice in organic gardens, indoors and outdoors because it is:
- Non-toxic: If not sprayed directly on them, neem oil is nontoxic to beneficial garden insects such as earthworms,predatory wasps, ladybugs,spiders,honeybees, ants, and adult butterflies. It is also nontoxic to humans, birds, and other animals
- Organic: Neem oil is plant based
- Biodegradable: breaks down quickly and leaves no residue
Tips for your plants
- Study up on the types of plants you plan to have in your home and their specific needs
- Learning about the lighting and watering needs will help you place your plant in just the right spot in your home
- Set up a schedule to clean, feed and tend to your plants. Just as your pets need your care, so do your plants
- Some people talk to their plants, others play music for them. The most important thing is to not neglect them
Remember, each plant is special and has specific needs. Once you get comfortable with a care routine, you can sit back and enjoy all your beautiful, healthy plants.